Monday, December 3, 2007

Failing to plan means....

Well day 2 certainly was better than yesterday. Today I officially embraced my plan. What plan you say? Oh that.... using the resources at my disposal I have laid out the first month of training in preparation for the St. Anthony tri. This is an often overlooked step in preparing for an event. Alot of people just "workout". But to train requires, that you know your goals, and how you plan to get there.

For instance, I have 21 weeks until St.Anthony's. I plan to split this time into 4 periods of training.

Preparation: 4 weeks Get the body in shape and prepare for future stresses.
Base: 4 weeks Start building my endurance in each sport.
Build 1: 4 weeks Start increasing intensity and volume.
Build 2: 4 weeks Fine tuning race strategy and fitness
Taper: 1 week Rest up for the big day.

Now I haven't planned every workout for the entire 21 weeks, that would be too hard, plus other obligations are bound to arise. Work, family obligations etc. I plan each period about a week before it's due to start. This also allows me to fine tune my training to take into account how the previous period went. One good place to start if you are not sure how to plan your own training is the following:

Training plans for multisport athletes



This book is an excellent resource with a wide variety of training plans for different types of events and different types of athletes. So get busy and get a plan, the season is closer than you think....

Rob....

2 comments:

Lisa J said...

Now, how do we get you to approach housework with a similar kind of determination?

Miguel said...

Talk to the neighbor's kid :-)