Sunday, January 6, 2008

Start the new year, by looking back...

With 2008 well under way I was contemplating how this year would be different. How much better my training would be, how much better I would eat, etc. All those thoughts led me back to thinking about 2007.

Last year was a tough one for myself and my family. In the space of one weekend I lost my best friend and my sister to various ailments. In October my dog lost a long battle with kidney failure and just recently my wife's mom died and my father was diagnosed with cancer. What does this have to do with training you may ask? It shows how trivial our training can be when compared with the much tougher job of living life. I know for a fact that anytime I start to suffer even a little while training or racing, I can draw great strength from remembering how my sister fought cancer for 7 long years. I know that any pain I may be feeling is trivial compared to what she went through and what's more, I can stop it any time I wish. She rarely had that choice. I can also feel a certain amount of joy that my lifestyle has up to now allowed me to enjoy great health. As I've watched many friends and family struggle with cancer and diabetes, I have had the great fortune to be relatively healthy. Many times I have tried to cautiously persuade those close to me about the great benefits a healthy lifestyle can bring, but everyone must choice their own path. As I reflect on these things I try to also keep in mind that those close to me are also trying to break me of my own bad habits and I resolve to be more diligent about listening to their advice. With these thoughts in mind I intend to dedicate the 2008 season to all those that we lost prematurely in 2007.

So for Sis, Steve, Chrissy, and Joyce I'm gonna do my best to improve and honor your memories. I remember you all and I miss you all greatly.

Peace & Love
and keep training.........

1 comment:

Lisa J said...

Did I mention that you're the best husband ever?