Sunday, January 27, 2008

3 months, time to get serious...

Well my calendar says I've got 91 days left until race day. Now that I have some solid training behind me and I'm starting to gain just a tad of confidence, I'm starting to actually set some goals for the race. For me it's not enough to just finish the race. Since I know I have the base fitness to complete the race, I want to strive for something more; I would like to finish in under 3 hours.

To accomplish this feat I first need to accurately assess where my fitness is now and how much I can/must improve over the next 91 days. To that end I have scheduled tests (i.e time trials) in two sports for the upcoming weekend. I intend to do a series of 3 mile time trials on the my newly configured Kestrel. I tested myself on a particular stretch of rode about 4 months ago when I was preparing for a duathlon so I have a good idea what kind of time I should be capable of. I suspect I will be a bit slower due to a decrease in saddle time and some adjustment to the new bike, but I know I will improve once the weather cooperates and warms up. After all the bike is my string sport.

More of confidence builder for me will be my 300 yard time trials in the pool. I need to get an idea of where my swimming workouts have gotten me so far. I plan to repeat these test every 3 -4 weeks to gauge progress and fitness. I plan to do my running time trial next week. Running fast for me is bit more mentally challenging then the other two sports so I try to set it apart so I can concentrate on just that workout for the week.

I had my first long (for me anyway) run today. I actually felt pretty good. While swimming is the sport I have the least confidence about, running is by far the sport it takes me the longest to feel comfortable with (I guess it's that whole weight bearing thing). So far though, I have felt pretty good and since I seem to be staying close to an 8 minute mile in training I'm hoping for some good times in the next few weeks.

While I haven't really started practicing, in the back of my mind are those dreaded transitions. I have already been sold on lock laces to speed up my previously snail-ish bike to run transition. I also plan to invest in a healthy supply of Body-Glide to get that damn wetsuit off (provided of course I get to use it).

Other random thoughts:

I need a training partner, this training alone stuff can get lonely......
Lifting has really helped.... I should keep this stuff up.....
Can vegan cake be considered good nutrition? I had the best cookies and cream vegan cake the other day (please say yes....)
My wife is great but why won't she ride her bike in the cold????

Peace and good training...

Rob

1 comment:

Lisa J said...

I don't ride in the cold because it's cold. DUH!
Seriously, I'd have to ride in about 10 layers in order for my hands and feet not to become little icicles and that just takes away from all the fun. I'm also not into that face-so-cold-it-feels-like-it-could-fall-off feeling. Don't let me spoil it for the rest of you though. :)